Monday, April 28, 2008

Time to set some lofty goals

For whatever reasons I always set goals and never attain them. Most of them have to do with a certain number of sng's or certain number of hands. I think it psychologically hinders my ability to play as I feel like I'm forced to play to meet my goals. Ultimately, I go on a downswing, in part from the stress of trying to get my hours in, and don't achieve my goal.

The goals that I have attained are more material and I'm sure more fulfilling than getting in a certain # of hands. In 2006 when I still had my 8-5 job, I set a goal to qualify for the World Series. Through a lot of luck I achieved that goal in late May. Not only was I really proud that I was going to be in the "Main Event" but it also gave me the confidence to make the leap into playing fulltime and quitting my desk job.

Next major goal was set in Sept/Oct of that year. I had always wanted to go to Australia and was trying to find a reason to go. Eventually, I started talking to a 2+2er that lives over there and he invited me to stay and grind in his apartment right by the beach. There's was no way I could turn it down and by December I was sipping cocktails on Bar Beach in Newcastle Australia. One of the coolest experiences of my life. It wasn't really a "work" goal but one of those things that you always tell yourself that you are going to do.

After that it was Vegas in June of 2007. I wanted to stay in Vegas and play in a lot of events last summer. My year had been really shitty up until I won a sat from Stars and that 12k gave my bankroll enough boost that I could take some shots in some of WSOP events. Before I went out there my goal was to final table an event. I knew it was a longshot but eventually ran really good in the NL Shootout and final tabled it to get 5th. Boom!

I did fail in one of my major goals in that I didn't get to play in any of the EPT event's that I wanted to. Really wanted to satellite into the London event but it wasn't meant to be as I got headsup for a package only to get 2nd. However, I still made the journey to Europe and had some wonderful experiences, including surfing on one of the best beaches in all of Europe.

In december I won a main event package to the aussie millions which was really huge. I hadn't really tried that hard to win a package but there was a huge overlay tournament and I got really friggin lucky and won my package.

My next major goal is to make 30k next month, 20k to use at the WSOP this year and 10k so I don't feel bad if I go 0 for 20k in events. It's a very lofty goal as I'm going to have to grind a ton of cash and probably luckbox into a 5-10k score in a mtt. However, I'm fully confident that I'll make it. Will try to update along the way. Of course, if I'm losing hand over fist I'll probably never mention this goal ever again.

No comments: